Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How long is he going to be gone?

Last night my daughter and I had dinner with a friend of hers that is just a couple of years older... cute, little guy. As we were driving to the restaurant they were talking about her dad being out of town and that she missed him so much that it hurt inside. This sweet boy said, "I know what you mean, how long is he going to be gone?"
She sadly responded, "I think two whole days."
He said, "really, I have to leave my dad for two weeks...you are really lucky."
I could not help but to blurt out, "blessed, not lucky, just blessed."
We talked more about how I grew up like him with divorced parents and had to feel that sadness inside, too.
As he felt a sense of camaraderie, he opened up about how much fighting he has witnessed over the years. Also, how he has a dog at each house and he misses them, too.
I fought back my own sense of empathy for this child and kept a dry eye until later that night.
As my head hit the pillow, I felt a sense of purpose and a commitment to teaching my daughter gratitude for her life with two parents with one home.
I do not have the time to befriend every peer out there, but I have a peer group who needs a voice, so I keep telling their stories.
Thanks for listening.

No comments: