Friday, January 16, 2009

Even Pretty Girls Experience Divorce

As I was thumbing through some research, I was reminded of a little girl that brought me to tears some months ago.
I was reading my book, A Heart with Two Homes, to fifth graders at a Tulsa Public School when I felt a tug at my pants. I looked down to be greeted by a student gazing at me as if she was shocked. She said, "I didn't think pretty people had to go through divorce."
Of course being a bit emotional, I asked if she truly believed what she looked like caused her parents divorce. With all sincerity I could see that she had convinced herself that if she had been prettier she could have prevented her daddy from moving out.
It is one thing to research some of these beliefs in books, they are stats, but quite another to look into the broken heart that wears that scar.

No comments: