Monday, July 5, 2010

"Our" Time, Child-Centered Divorce Month

I remember when I was a kid, my dad always resurfaced on the 4th of July.  He loved it. 
I think somewhere in his noggin he decided that the 4th was our holiday, so most of my memories of the 4th include him. 
What a wonderful gift to me.  His consistency of choosing a time that was "our" time was marked with a reoccurring visual every year.
My dad has been gone now for over four years, but still as I see the exploding fireworks the sights and sounds reaffirm the consistent message my dad sent me on the 4th and I hear, "no matter how crazy my life gets, I promise not to forget you especially on our 4th."
This month is Child-Centered Divorce Month.  If you are a parent struggling to find your place in your child's heart after a divorce, consider implementing an "our" time marked by an event that will be around a long time after you have passed on.
I can assure you that as a child I may not have revealed the importance of the 4th to my dad, but as an adult it brings me to tears and is a warm memory of love and affirmation.

No comments: